Your Facebook Fan Page Needs SEO Too
Every webmaster knows how essential it is to create an SEO campaign for their website. How many of them are willing to put even a fraction of the effort into their SEO campaign for their Facebook fan page? Probably less than 10%.
Why Use SEO for Your Facebook Page?
It’s hard to understand why many webmasters won’t put in a little effort to create a more popular Facebook page. Think about how much more exposure a Facebook page can get. Facebook will rank much higher in the search engines than your web site ever will.
You created your fan page to draw more fans. Why not make sure possible fans will actually find it?
Tips for Using SEO to Draw Facebook Fans
Facebook will rank higher than your site and you can definitely use more competitive keywords. However, you need to think about your SEO strategy first. Here are some tips to draw traffic to your fan page:
- Optimize for both Google and Facebook searches. Visitors will use both search engines to find your group. Make sure you are somewhat familiar with how they both work. Most likely, you will be drawing fans from Facebook’s own search engine. Nevertheless, you need Google too.
- Get a vanity url. Making sure that your keywords turn up in the url is just as important with Facebook as a website. This can be a major SERP boost.
- Make your fan page public. Change the settings on your page so everyone on Facebook can find it. There is no point being selective about who can find your page.
- Think SEO in all content on your fan page. Search engines crawl the entire page for information. Hopefully, you know that already when you build your own website. Think about SEO in your wall posts, descriptions, status updates and everything else you possibly can.
- Optimize titles for content you want to find. You need to make sure your keywords are in the titles of your wall posts. Your wall posts will draw traffic for additional keywords and visitors can click directly on your content.
- Use a static FBML app. These applications will allow you to create new sections in your page for keyword laden content.
- Add videos. Embedding YouTube videos into your site can help your rankings considerably. Find popular videos with your keywords and have them streamed in.
- Be persistent. It always takes time to optimize any webpage. Your fan page is no different. Update it regularly.
Take the time to work on your SEO campaign for your Facebook page. It is essential that you draw Facebook fans. Why not use SEO to draw the most relevant users?